I use this sauce over rice, homemade gnocchi (which is really good), as a gravy over mashed potatoes, with regular pasta, or over steak. It is very easy to make and only takes about 20 minutes, the perfect creamy, rich sauce for many dishes.
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cups mushrooms- I used baby bella and white cremini
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup vegetable broth I estimated the amount–you can just add until it looks right to you
- ½ cup light cream
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan for topping optional
- Slice up your mushrooms, chop the onions, and mince your garlic.
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the olive oil. Pour your mushrooms and onions into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, throw in the garlic and reduce the heat just a little bit, so the garlic doesn’t burn. Continue cooking and stirring until the vegetables are cooked to your likely. I think I cooked mine for about 10-12 minutes. Season with pepper and salt.
- Add in your vegetable broth and bring to a low boil, stirring throughout. Allow that to boil for a couple minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream. The amount you use is really up to you and if you want to keep it lighter and use half and half I suggest adding some flour to get a thicker consistency. Stir sauce well. It is now ready to be served on top of whatever you want! Top with parmesan for extra flavor. For meat eaters, it is really great with steak or even chicken. I personally like it over rice.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.