Crockpot Chicken Taco Stew
The perfect dish for get togethers and pot lucks, it’s become one of my favorite crockpot recipes to make on a Sunday and have left overs for lunch during the week.
Serve with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
It’s super easy to make, you basically just throw everything (except the chicken) in a crockpot and mix it together. Then, lay the chicken on top and cook on high for 4-5 hrs or on low for 6-8 hrs, shred the chicken and serve.
🍜 Variations & Substitutions
- You can use 1 1/4 packets of taco seasoning in place of the homemade seasoning in the recipe, but we prefer to make our own.
- For a chunkier stew you can use two 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes with chilies and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. I don’t really like lots of chunks of tomatoes, so we use one can of the diced tomatoes and a 15 oz can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, whatever we have on hand.
We love that this recipe is so versatile and easy to customize to ones liking without really altering the taste or presentation. It’s always a hit when we make it for a crowd and it never lasts long at home.
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Stew
- 3 large Chicken Breasts
- 1 15 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- 1 15 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Corn drained
- 1 4 oz can Green Chilies
- 3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning recipe below
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Sugar we prefer organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Combine diced tomatoes, tomatoes sauce, beans, corn and chilies in a crock pot.
- Stir in 2 1/2 Tbsp on the taco seasoning.
- Place chicken breast on top and sprinkle with remain taco seasoning.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hrs or low for 6-8 hrs.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Add the chicken back in and mix well.
- Continue cooking for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Top with your favorite topping like: cheddar cheese, greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.