Add a little cayenne pepper and molasses to sprouts, and you get this delicious sweet and spicy Brussels sprouts recipe.
What Are Brussels Sprouts?
Brussels sprouts belong in the same family as cabbage and broccoli, the mustard family Brassicaceae. The sprouts resemble mini cabbages with layers of leaves overlapping each other.
Why is the B in Brussels Always Capitalized?
The Belgians cultivated the Brussels sprouts in the 16th century. Since Brussels is the capital of Belgium, the name stuck. This naming is also why there is an “s” at the end of Brussels even if you refer to a singular sprout.
Why Do Brussels Sprouts Smell So Bad?
Brussels sprouts contain hydrogen sulfide gas. This gas is the same one that makes you emit smells after you eat them. The gas escapes from the sprout once heated.
Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Aluminum foil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Cookie sheet
Cut the ends off of the Brussels sprouts, and then cut each sprout in half. Place sprouts in a bowl, and pour olive oil over them. Mix to coat the sprouts with the oil. Sprinkle cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper over sprouts. Stir to ensure even coverage of the spices. Place sprouts cut-side down on the greased cookie sheet. Put the sheet in a preheated 400ºF oven for 15 minutes. Remove and drizzle molasses over the sprouts. Place back in over for an additional 5 minutes.
Sweet and Spicy Brussels Sprouts
- Cookie sheet
- 16 oz Brussels sprouts, halved and stem end removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp molasses
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a bowl. Pour olive oil over the sprouts. Stir to cover the sprouts with oil.
- Sprinkle the sprouts with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir to ensure even coverage of spices.
- Place sprouts on greased cookie sheet, laying them cut-side down.
- Place cookie sheet in a preheated 400ºF oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Drizzle molasses over the sprouts.
- Place the pan back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.